WWU VNISRD Release Status
The VNISRD is in an early beta state. Please do not distribute links to the test server outside of your working group. Bug reports, feature requests, and instrument filter set submissions are all very welcome. Please send them directly by email to email@example.com.
near-term feature implementation plans
- none at present. Send feature requests!
- none at present. Send bug reports!
- improved format of export spectra
- simulated spectra are now exported in separate CSV files. They are exported along with lab spectra only from the graph view, only for the specific instrument you have selected, and only if you have the 'show lines' or 'show points' options toggled on for simulated spectra.
- new bulk / non-interactive export feature. You can send
GET requests to /mars/bulk_export and get zip files
containing CSV in return. The request parser currently
understands only three parameters: 'sample_name',
'all_fields', and 'simulate'.
- Values for 'sample_name' search just names of samples
- Values for 'all_fields' search every metadata field
- 'simulate' along with the short name for any of the filter sets currently implemented (same as the names in the simulation options dropdown in the graph view) causes the server to return simulated spectra along with lab spectra
curl "184.108.40.206:8000/mars/bulk_export/?sample_name=smectite&simulate=Mastcam-Z" > smectite.zipshould cause curl to write lab spectra for all smectites in the database + simulated versions of those spectra as viewed by Mastcam-Z to smectite.zip. This is currently quite permissive, so use caution if asking for broad categories like all spectra with metadata containing the letter 'a'. Thanks to Lucia Mandon for this suggestion.
- backend changes in preparation for open beta release
- major changes to graph controls layout
- improved display of calculation and normalization status
- fixed a bug related to calculation focus clipping
- added wavelengths range selection to search page
- minor layout and cosmetic changes in graph
- fixed a bug related to simultaneous band depth calculations on multiple spectra.
- fixed an issue related to focus snapping.
- made normalization behaviors clearer and more consistent.
- less drawing
- new behavior for 'normalize-to-wavelength' option. Instead of clicking on the graph, you may now enter a target wavelength in the box next to the 'wavelength' switch in the control panel.
- pan and zoom are now retained when spectra are switched off and on, simulation options are changed, or normalization states are changed. 'reset window,' as before, will always center the rendered spectra in their current state, should you normalize yourself into a corner of the plane with nothing in it.
- new option to perform calculations on all spectra simultaneously
- numerous under-the-hood changes to enable futureproofing, extensibility, and bugfixes
- improved pan and zoom behavior from both mouse and window-control widgets
- fixed a bug related to point selection at the right-hand ends of spectra
- fixed issues related to instrumentalized vs. lab spectra selection ambiguities
- visual feedback added for normalization states
- many edge cases and ambiguities in calculation behavior resolved
- various optimizations for improved stability, performance, and fault tolerance
v0.23 [closed beta release] (12/11/2020)
- added features for verbose display of object names and citations
- fixed several bugs / unwanted behaviors wrt null or malformed requests
- removed entries of inaccessible databases from search dialogs
- assorted text / text display changes
- added 'status' page for patch notes, known issues, feature implementation roadmap
- feature added to enable arbitrary ordering of filtersets in simulation dropdown
- urls / citations added for spectra databases and filtersets
- general cleanup of remote js library and font sources, and partial transition to locally-cached versions (reduced page load times, increased stability, etc.)
- fixed bug in graphing / exporting / etc. from ‘select all’ lists
- removed autocomplete feature in search interface
- narrowed navbar (globally) and restored it to graph view
- changed 'roverize' to 'instrumentalize'
- changed default display options to lab lines + instrumentalized points
- created distinct visibility controls for lab lines, lab points, instrument lines, instrument points
- changed visual characteristics of graph points and lines
- changed graph line palette
- rounded all calculations and reflectance values to <= 3 values after the decimal
- increased axis tick and label font size
- general graph control layout changes + compression
- added features for restricting newly-added spectra to superusers prior to review
- fixed a bug related to inappropriately flexible search results from some spectra sources
- added custom libraries to sample search and the admin interface
- fixed a bug related to propagation of model choice fields into search results
- various small bugfixes and assorted cleanup changes
- Changes from items discussed in 2/3 meeting
- Added handling for uploaded files with multiple reflectance columns
- Changed search to interpret multiple-word queries more loosely
- For instance, the query 'basalt glass' in the sample name field returns all entries containing either 'basalt' OR glass in their sample name field UNLESS a sample exists with the exact sample name basalt glass'
- Buggy buttons in results page fixed
- turning on simulated spectrum now continues to display lab spectrum by default (can still be toggled off)
- Changed visual design of simulated spectra for improved legibility in this mode
- 'Show points' mode active by default
- added tool to normalize all curves to 1 at a given wavelength
- (workflow: switching it on reveals an 'arm selection' switch, which also be switched on to a normalization wavelength. Without this secondary mode, it becomes extremely irritating to try to do calculations &c in wavelength normalization mode)
- All calculations are constrained to operate only on a single spectrum. User attempts to place calculation anchors on separate spectra are ignored
- Simple band depth calculator rewritten. Now two modes:
- Automatically finds local minimum
- calculates band depth at point selected by user
- filter sets added: Pathfinder IMP, MER PANCAM, Mastcam-Z, Landsat OLI
- Added functionality for dynamically switching filter sets for simulations
- All filtersets now also save simulated spectra with no illumination (i.e., illumination = 1, reflectance = radiance at all points)
- 'Locator line’ changed to 'vertical line'
- Redesign of entire site in WWU identity colors
- the only elements drawn with colors outside of the identity color palette are simulated spectra
- Redesigned about page
- First release of major application redesign.
- updated to python 3.x / django 3.x. Backend changes related to update not specified here in detail.
- Extensively refactored Python and JS code for maintainability and extensibility. Individual changes too numerous to list.
- Broad visual redesign.
- replaced postgreSQL with SQLite (more maintainable, portable, and performant for small database size with few concurrent users)
- Altered all existing database models; changes included fields inappropriately referring to 'mineral' properties to 'sample' or 'material' as appropriate
- improved behavior of autocomplete dialogs
- mass sample type flagging actions replaced with broader mass editing functionality
- added image upload and processing functionality
- added associated image download and display functionality
- improved upload input processing and UX
- added capability to insert filter sets and illumination conditions into database
- added tools for simulating spectra viewed through filter sets under specified illumination conditions
- added 'reset zoom' button in graph view
- added 'shrink' button in graph view for more working space
- improved scrolling and zoom behavior in graph view
- Fixed various bugs related to widget positioning in graph view
- Redesigned control interface and layout of graph view for improved usability and accessibility
- fixed a bug related to graph boundary setting when graphing multiple spectra
- added calculators for simple band depth, ratio, and slope in graph view
- added option to drop multiple vertical lines in graph view
- added option to linearly peak-normalize spectra to 1 in graph view
- added option to y-offset spectra in graph view
- added user-facing bulk-upload capability
- advanced search replaced with 'any' field
- results view redesigned to reduce amount of data presented to users for improved readability and navigation